Dr. S. Chandrasekharbbrandcp
Secretary, Department of Science & Technology, Government of India and Chairperson, Technology Development Board, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India
Asian Scientist Magazine (Jul. 5, 2016) published an article on 8 Scientists From India To Watch Wherein they featured a handful of Indian scientists that are breaking new ground in space, biomedical science, pharmaceuticals and beyond. Dr. Chandrasekhar was one amongst them along with Bharat Ratna Prof. CNR Rao, Kiran Majumdar Shaw etc.
- Dr. Srivari Chandrasekhar has made significant contributions in diverse areas of organic chemistry especially in chiral chemistry and total synthesis of biologically active natural products (marine natural products with architectural complexity).
- The development of PEG as a novel solvent medium created a totally different platform for practitioners of Green chemistry.
- Development of new methodologies for C-C bond formation reactions involving organo-catalysis and organo-metallic reagents is highly cited.
- Process development and drug discovery in collaboration with pharmaceutical industry have resulted in development of economically viable processes and lead compounds. He has 300 publications and 22 patents with over 8000 citations.
- 80 students have already obtained their Ph.D. award under his able guidance and 20 students are currently pursuing their research work with Dr. S. Chandrasekhar.
- He was awarded A V Rama Rao Chair in 2020
- His team was awarded CSIR Technology Award 2021 for the process for vaccine adjuvant in Covaxin, 2020, for the process of Favipiravir and 2014 for the process of Misoprostol in 2014.
- He received the Golden Jubilee Commemoration Medal (Chemical Sciences 2020) from INSA.
- He has been honoured by Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI) by CRSI Silver Medal for his extensive and outstanding contributions to research in Chemistry.
- He has been selected for the Astra Zeneca Research Endowment Award for the year 2019.
- He is recipient of Infosys Prize 2014 for Physical Sciences, CNR Rao National Prize in Chemical Research 2012, SASTRA-CNR Rao award for excellence in Material and Chemistry in 2017, Goyal Prize in Chemical Sciences 2017 and VASVIK Award 2018 for Chemical Sciences and Technology.
- He received Sir C V Raman Birth Centenary Award for 2018.
- He is a recipient of the National Academy of Sciences-Reliance platinum jubilee award in physical sciences for work on innovations in applied research with fundamental approach.
- He has been awarded the Ranbaxy Research award in Pharmaceutical Sciences-2009 for his contributions to total synthesis of natural products and medicinal chemistry.
- He is a fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences, Indian National Science Academy and National Academy of Sciences.
- Dr. Srivari obtained his Bachelors, Masters and Ph. D. degree from Osmania University while the work for Ph. D. was carried out in IICT on total synthesis of Cyclosporin.
- He was Alexander von Humboldt Fellow at Goettingen and post-doctoral fellow at University of Texas.